This year at Thanksgiving I purchased an extra package of fresh cranberries so we could try a few new cookie recipes. I’ve always loved plain coconut macaroons but we decided to change them up a little — figured the lovely pop of red from the cranberries would help liven these up a bit on holiday cookie trays.
We made some with chocolate chips & some without — the three of us preferred them with the added bit of chocolate but they were truly good either way. We prefer using bittersweet dark chocolate chips for these since they help balance the sweetness of the cookie. Our favorite chips are Ghirardelli or Guittard, if you can find them at your local shop.
On a storage note, storing coconut macaroons can be a bit tricky — if you put them in a storage bag, they tend to get soggy so your best bet is putting them in an air-tight cookie tin once they have fully cooled. Our best advice is to bake these close to your party — preferably no longer than 1-2 days beforehand for the best texture when serving.
Thankfully, this is a very simple cookie to whip together so it’s perfect for a last-minute event.
Enjoy & happy baking!
Cranberry Chocolate Chip Macaroons
- 1 c. fresh cranberries, rinsed & finely chopped
- 2/3 c. flour
- 1 bag (14 oz.) shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 c. chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the cranberry pieces in the flour to coat them. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Drop batter by teaspoonful on the baking sheet. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, 'til golden.
Store in an air-tight container or cookie tin.